Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 2 Big Bear

The highlight of Day 2 at Big Bear was our hike up Pine Knot trail. Well- watching Zombieland was pretty good also, but there are no pictures of that. Because of Zombieland and other things such as lunch, our hike began during the hottest part of the day. Therefore, we did not hike very long. Somewhere between 1 hour or 2.5 hours. I know that is a big time range, but I forget what time we started....

We started off on leash since we didn't know how crowded the trial would be.


As it turns out there was no one else on the trail so the dogs got to run around.



We had a view of the lake.


Pie had a view of me.



As anyone knows who views my pictures, I make my dogs pose on rocks a lot. And any dogs walking with us usually get involved also.


Pie investigates the trail. At a run.



Dottie says, "Whee!!"


I am happily surprised that Dottie is actually good looking. I thought she was a very funny looking puppy, and compared to what she used to look like, she is pretty now. Just ignore her structure. And her small head. And crooked tail. I do.


Maybe there are lots of pictures of the Mals in this post, but that does not mean they are more special than Fancy, and to prove it, here is a picture of Fancy. Looking cute, as always.


ffluffy checks out some weird sap. It did not smell piney. It smelled strange.


Good thing this bridge is here to get us over the huge river.


This was supposed to be a Malinos only picture but Fancy wanted to join in and I do not like to say no to Fancy. But that explains why she is peaking out from the back.


Dottie went snorkeling while having a drink.


Fancy is on a big rock. To get up she jumped/ climbed to the little ledge on the left, then up to where she is standing. Dottie though she should go up also, but I would not let her. Fancy is part cat, and Dottie is part AWTH (accident waiting to happen.)

A few additional pictures are posted here. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=460869&l=b27e2e7e53&id=100000152104007 Starting on page 2 to page 3.

After the hike we had dinner at a pizza place in town with Mom and Dad, and also Fancy and Hunda who got to join us since we ate on the patio. After dinner, Mom and Dad went to see a movie and ffluffy and I had some ice cream and walked around a little bit. I warned some small girls (who had their mom supervising them) not to pet strange, unattended dogs because you don't know if they are friendly or not (Fancy was waiting for me outside the ice cream shop) and the mom was unimpressed, as was a family standing nearby who claimed it was ok to pet Fancy because she didn't look rabid. Later we saw the same family who spoke up as we walked in opposite directions making snide comments about dog petting. Next time I will just say, "That dog has rabies, don't pet it."

I decided there are 4 things a parent should teach their kids. 1) Look both ways before you cross the street. 2) Always wear your seatbelt. 3) Assume all guns are loaded. 4) Don't pet strange dogs without asking. There are many more good things to teach your children such as always wear a hat and sunscreen, hold the handrail going down stairs, don't drink and drive, never do drugs, make wise investments for retirement, don't major in English, etc, but the four I decided are critical will most likely come up at some point in your life, while the rest may or may not affect you. For example, maybe you are lucky to never sunburn so you don't need to be afraid of skin cancer, and maybe you are not a klutz like me so you don't need to be wary and extra careful on stairs, but many people driving cars try to run you down, you are very likely to die in a car crash with out a seat belt, you can never be too safe around guns, and why would you look on as your child rushes up to a dog that as far as you know, has maybe never had a rabies shot in its life at got in a fight with a raccoon just last night? Why risk it? I love dogs, but I don't trust dogs I don't know and it is stupid to let your child pet a dog with out asking the owner. Most people agree there are many stupid people in this world. I should not be surprised.

Of course Fancy did not bite, and I would not step away from her side if I thought she would, and I took the extra precaution of keeping her in my sight just for the purpose of saving her from children, and as soon as I saw the three children RUN up to her and immediately start petting and putting their faces by her muzzle I came to her rescue and gave my lecture. Forget getting bit, what would they have done if it had been Pie, who loves children so much she probably would have broken her down (bad Pie) and followed them down the street when they were done petting?

It makes me wonder what I do that seems perfectly ok to me and makes other people crazy that I could be so stupid. At this point I can't think of anything, but if I asked that mother of three the same question, I'm sure she wouldn't report that she lets her children put their faces within inches of an unknown, unattended dog, and gee, I bet that makes people crazy because I'm so stupid. I'm sure people think that if a dog is unattended it must be safe because only a stupid person would leave a mean dog unattended and while that is very true, using that reasoning, you are counting on other people to be not stupid. And I just don't think counting on other people to be not stupid is a good idea. As evidenced by this very person. Ok, enough talking about that. Fancy does not bite, no one was in any danger, I watched her the whole time, and I hope those girls, and others who are uneducated about safe behavior around dogs, do not have the bad luck to get bitten.

After the ice cream we took a few dogs to the lake then headed home. Dottie amused herself by barking at the washing machine which was unbalanced and trying to shake the house apart, and then by eating a spider. Everyone is now napping and soon I will be sleeping as well. On to day three!

No comments: