Thursday, July 30, 2009

Walk in Somis on Tuesday and Santa Clarita on Wednesday

Before Agility class on Tuesday I took a short walk in my friend's orchard. I would love to walk here everyday, but then I would be overstaying my welcome. The walk was short since I didn't get there as early as I would have liked and I had to be sure to get to class on time.

Fancy near the lemons. There are also avocados, strawberries, blueberries, and some other stuff.

Come! After coming, they race off again.

Pie investigates a plank. I fell in this ditch once and landed on my back. I was standing near the edge and I went to take step sideways and BOTH knees went out and I pitched in. Weird. How I manged to not hit my head on the way in or when I landed I don't know. And why I ended up on my back I can't figure out either. I seem to be somewhat accident prone. Maybe I should wear a safety helmet...


Sometimes this ditch has even more water in it. As it was, Pie and Fancy still had fun racing around and getting muddy.




It was deep enough for Fancy to swim, but not Pie, although she gave it a good try.



Racing off again and coming back when called. Such good dogs.



Blossom poses on some tires to prove he was there.

Fancy got muddy, but she has definitely been muddier.

The dogs show off their obedience skills while I start to get ready for agility class.
_________________________________

On Wednesday I drove to Santa Clarita and had dinner with the family- a yummy home cooked meal prepared by my mom. Thanks Mom! I don't get tasty home cooked meals at my house. I need to go home for dinner more often.
After dinner Mom, her dogs, and my two big dogs (Blossom stayed home) went for a walk in the Angeles National Forrest (dogs legally allowed off leash) on "The Road" (the washed out, abandoned section of San Fransquito Canyon Road.) The sun was quickly setting so we kept up a brisk pace and took no pictures. Try not to be too disappointed. The dogs had lots of good sniffs, and Pie used her Water Divining Powers to find the only puddle of water deep enough to submerse herself in. Doesn't she realize this is a desert and there shouldn't be any surface water that deep at the end of July? No matter, she still found some.
Besides the water, Pie also found a tarantula! It was huge! I saw her off in the distance sniffing something. She must have learned from the smaller spiders she has taken into her mouth and spit back out that it was not edible, and I called her off and no one was harmed. It's body was bigger than her paw. With legs it was about the size of my hand. This is actually the second tarantula I have seen in this area, the third "wild" tarantula I've seen total. My mom had to put her dogs on the leash to walk past it. She thought it might attack them. Or maybe she wanted to security of the dogs so it didn't attack her!
We got back to the car just as it was getting dark enough to need a flashlight, which we intelligently brought with us. But that sentence was confusing. We did not need the flashlight because we got back to the car in time. Had we been a few minutes later we might have needed it. I just wanted to be clear on that so I wasn't accused of making things up.
This weekend I have drill to occupy my time. Since I really have nothing better to do, I suppose I'll go. I know sarcasm doesn't come through well in a written sentence, so I'll give you a hint- that was a sarcastic remark. I have a dinner with two friends to look forward to on Saturday, nothing exciting planned after drill on Sunday.
The long awaited Big Bear post is almost done. I've loaded all my pictures and now I just have to do the writing. Everyone will have to wait a few more days to be satisfied!
**it is annoying when the paragraph breaks do not show up!

1 comment:

Claire said...

More great pictures, as usual! Those sorts of walking/hiking opportunities don't seem as common around here. Maybe I don't know where to look. Then again, we couldn't let Moxie off the leash anyway. We went to our local river trail last weekend and she almost pulled the Army Man over when she saw a squirrel (in his defense he was able to quickly reel her in after the initial shock of his dog attempting to rocket out of his hand at record speeds).

I don't like to hear about you falling in, that is scary and not okay.