Monday, December 22, 2008

Santa Barbara and the Snow- But Not Together


Aunt Kathleen was visiting so mom and I took her to Santa Barbara. We saw the Mission (called the Queen of the Missions) and we went to State Street and did shopping. There is a lot of shopping on State Street. We did not see all the shops.

If anyone has read the book Island of the Blue Dolphins (I have not) the lady the book is about is buried at the Santa Barbara Mission. A bit of trivia for you.

We also went on a scenic drive up in the neighborhood above the Mission and came upon an open house so we stopped in to view that. If you can call following about 10 signs with arrows pointing the way "came upon." If I remember correctly the asking price was $2.3 million. I guessed 3 to 4 Million, so I was a bit off. I don't know the Santa Barbara market that well, apparently. It had a great view, a wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen and a tiny yard. It also had hardwood floors upstairs that came with dog claw marks, so at least my dogs wouldn't have to work too hard to dogify the house. The fire from a few months ago burned up the house across the street, and we could see more fire damage. The Realtor credited the tile roof and stucco construction for saving this home. I'm sure the firefighters had something to do with it also.

The previous day Dad, Craig and I planned to go to the snow. Aunt Kathleen came with us. I guess she doesn't get enough snow in PA. Some of dad's friends came with us, with their Malamute, in a different vehicle. They were in the different vehicle also- not just the dog. Speaking of different vehicles, since Dad has the four door jeep, four of us people and four dogs all fit, with all of our extra gear and the sled! We went to the spot up past Lake Elizabeth that we've been before. I was a bit worried the snow might have melted but that was an unfounded worried. I think my worry about the jeep sliding off the road and over the side of the hill was more founded in reality, no matter what anyone else says.

We found the snow all right. We drove until we got stuck, then we walked. It might have turned into a typical family death march, but Aunt Kathleen must have been warned by Aunt Anne against hiking with the us, because after a short way she stopped. We only went a bit further then we stopped too. That snow was very deep and not really conducive to walking, so it was for the best. We had a snowball fight, took an amusing video, you tube link then spent the rest of the time getting the two off road vehicles unstuck. We used the high lift jack, a rope, a tow cable, the shovel, various hand tools, the plastic sled, and local vegetation. Just about the only thing we didn't use was Pie the Puller. Too bad. Oh, and the winch. Which would have helped. A lot. I guess there was nothing to use the winch on in front of our Jeep, and the vehicle stuck behind us didn't have a winch. The lesson here is everyone should have a winch on the front and the backs of their vehicles. To make it even more exciting, the dogs had to stay out of the way and we had two dogs with us who don't wait patiently very well. Ahem- Pie and Roscoe you whinny dogs. And compounding that situation was the Malamute was lusting after my Malinois and trying to have his way with her. She was pretty good about staying in her down, but that was only making it easier for him...

After several freezing hours, dad went for help and we still haven't seen him. Just kidding. I wasn't cold at all since I was shoveling and hauling and pushing. We got both vehicles un stuck and went on our way. Three cheers for the Recovery School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds! I was also treated to a story about the Proving Grounds in which dad imitated the voice of a hapless enlisted person who got his tank stuck and dad instructed him to turn the treads inside out. Apparently a tread turned inside out is like a cleat. Dad found out later the hapless enlisted person then drove the tank down the street, tearing it up due to the treads acting like large metal spikes. Oh those foolish enlisted people. Doing what their officer tells them! I was not treated to an imitation of the voice of the high ranking officer who was quite upset about this. Too bad.

You can see my photos from both trips here. Photobucket link I'm having trouble with the hyperlinks. Be sure to view the second page as well. For people not as familiar with computers as others- any time you see something underlined, it might be a link.


I am still trying to figure out how to post the pictures better.

3 comments:

Claire said...

What an amusing story!! I have heard that tank story before. Silly enlisted people, indeed. And how have you never read "Island of the Blue Dolphins"?? I thought that was required reading in school!

Sadly the links do not seem to be working.

Three Dog Days said...

Hmm... they work for me. You just have to find the correct spot to click.

Three Dog Days said...

Ok- I edited the post to make the pictures better and the links more obvious. I hope it helps.