Thursday, November 4, 2010

Buying a Trailer!

Very exciting! It is a 2005 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder T-139. One of the Mal ladies at the Dixon show is selling it. Getting a good price, which I needed, because some work is needed on the Buick to take it up to its max tow rating. Putting in an electronic brake controller, a heavy duty radiator and a high output alternator. The tow package that could have been ordered with the car when new cannot be added afterward. I have not been able to determine why. It also states it includes a transmission engine oil cooler, but Buick has no part number for that. Looking at my radiator, there is a transmission line going into the radiator so it already has that built in, which explains why there is no part to add. So why does the tow package list that as part of the upgrade if the radiator already has it? Buick is not very helpful when I've called them.

Remember the post about replacing the battery? Looks like replacing the radiator and alternator is going to be just as "fun." The radiator seems to be under the engine mounts, and the co-worker looking at my car today couldn't even see how to get at the alternator. I think he might have been thinking about volunteering to do the work for me, but probably changed his mind after seeing that.

The trailer weighs 1600 empty. The Buick can pull 2000lbs with no tow package. With the package it can pull 35oolbs. As I am now, I am within limits, but I am cautious so would rather have the extra ability the tow package offers. Engine cooling abilities is what makes the tow package equipped car able to pull more. The engine is not bigger nor are there larger brakes. The weight ratio of the trailer vs the Buick is not changed by the tow package. My safety will not be comprised, just the "safety" of the engine. That is encouraging. However, I still plan on getting the Buick as close to possible to the factory specifications as if it had the Buick tow package installed.

I understand why you can't call the dealership and get a sunroof added, but why can't you add the tow package??

The trailer itself: 14 ft long, tiny shower and toilet, 2 burner stove, frige (I'll be adding a microwave.) The table used to convert int a queen bed but the previous owner modified it into an extra long twin. I think I may need to add a small folding table in that location. There is also a fold down bunk above that. It has heating and A/C as well. Not a lot of room, but enough for me and a friend! (Plus the dogs of course.)

I do not think I will be using it every weekend, but I plan to take it to OR this summer, and to the Invitational in a few weeks (if they still have RV spots open) and Las Vegas the weekend after that (if there is camping at the trial.) Dad plans on using it some too. IF he can find places to take it where it is "wilderness" camping with easy enough access that it can get in. I'm going to use it to "camp" at dog shows and RV parks. The Buick does not have 4wd or enough ground clearance to get into wilderness campgrounds.

More pictures coming after I actually own it. I should be picking it up around the 20th of Nov (going back to Dixon area to get it!)


Bunk is right above. A small folding table (stowed while towing) will still fit between the 2 seats.)





A step up from my first trailer! 600 lbs teardrop towed behind the Miata. I should find a picture of that. The teardrop and Miata won out in the "cool" category, especially with the flames I had put on the trailer.

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

I can't wait to see it. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun.