Friday, August 13, 2010

Vacation Day ?? - the End

I'm a bit behind on posting this. We left Big Bear on this day. Had a lot of packing to do and cleaned up the house so you would never know there were 8 dogs staying there.


Our Cabin.

Went to the lake one last time then headed down the mountain the back way, into the desert. The mountain was very dry with no trees. Apparently the rain comes in from the other direction then the mountains stop it and the opposite side never gets any moisture.

We were heading to Sacramento for the last few days of our vacation. This makes more sense if you consider originally we were only going to spend a few days in Big Bear, then head into Oregon for dog friendly beach camping. Then we decided that was too far so we'd stop in Eureka instead, but we never even made it that far. Later we realized we would have been better off staying in Big Bear the entire time, but I did get to see the inside of the State Capitol, which was the reason I wanted to go.

We drove all day, missed a turn and drove some more. While we were driving we had some drama because ffluffy's boyfriend was also driving cross country and no one had heard from him for over a day and everyone was starting to get worried. Phone calls went back and forth. Luckily it turned out he was fine but his cell phone was broken.

Using a map, we spotted a campsite along our route. However, our map was not detailed enough to show us where to get off the highway. Eventually we found it because we saw a sign for the RV campground (also shown on our map) and we followed the sign then asked them how to get to the campground. We got there was it was still light and set up camp. We were right next to a river but it had a no dogs sign.


Much to my dismay I was physically sick in the middle of the night. Happily, ffluffy is a heavy sleeper and didn't have to listen to anything, but I'm afraid some of the other campers might have been treated to some sounds they probably didn't want to hear.

Other than that, it was fun being in the tent. My little air bed roll was very comfy and Pie and Fancy slept snuggled up with me all night. I made Bacon and Dottie sleep in the car since ffluffy had her own dogs to sleep with and I knew those two would try to take advantage of her.



The next day we packed and made it to Sacramento. It was so hot! We stayed with ffluffy's cousin in a nice neighborhood with a cool pet store. Also a running shoe store where I finally bought some new running shoes. The old ones were getting comments about their sad appearance, so I knew it was time.

The next day we toured the Capitol, seeing the capitol building, gardens, and old governor's mansion. We got to go inside the governor's office, but only the reception area. We also saw the state Assembly and Senate rooms and various reproductions of old rooms such as some sort of money room. I don't really recall what was going on in there but there were 2 huge safes/ vaults. A newer one and an older one. Here are a few teaser pictures, the rest can be seen on the Facebook album, but you will have to scroll through all the pictures I posed here first.



In the CA House of Reps Room. I almost fell over the side because I set the camera up on timer then had to climb down the chairs to get in the picture and I wasn't very graceful.



In front of Ahnold's Office.


You can't see me but I can see you.

The rest of the pictures are here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=29871&id=100000152104007&l=d437b9f9e9

We decided to head home the next day, being that it was so hot in Sacramento we couldn't go hiking or really do anything. Then we spent all day driving and made it home before 10pm.

It was a great vacation. Big Bear was definitely the best part, and even though Sacramento was scorching and a long drive and I got sick on the way there, I am still glad I finally made it to see inside the Capitol.

No comments: