Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bad Week with Creepy Crawlies

Earlier this week I was stung by a bee for the first time in my life. I stepped on it. I was surprised how much it hurt, not only initially- I expected to find a huge nail embedded in my foot- but also how much it continued to hurt. I looked for the stinger, but never found it. My foot swelled up and I couldn't bend my toes. I was actually unable to sleep that night because of the pain. I eventually took some Benadryl that I had bought for Fancy, hoping if it didn't help at least it would make me sleepy. That was on Sunday. Today the swelling is all gone and I can walk normally, but the top of my foot is itching like crazy! The top in that area did swell and turn red so I assume it is related, but not really sure why it is still itchy.

Today I opened up a storage box to get out my obedience jumps to practice for Pie's upcoming competition and I was swarmed by earwigs, which is to be expected. What was not expected was the biggest black widow I've ever seen. I've always thought if you see a huge black spider you are safe because black widows don't get that big. Now I have to re-evaluate that idea. I took the wimpy way out and attacked it with Raid. Then I scooped up the dead body (without touching it) and put in in a baggie for a picture.



Then I put the baggie in Tupperware. I'm not risking it coming back to life and eating it's way out of the bag and getting loose in my house!

Since that is a yucky picture here is a nice one. Fancy and Pie practicing the long sit framed by the jump I set up at risk to life and limb from the hugest black widow ever.


I hope that is the end of my bad luck with small nasty creatures. Please excuse me while I attack my foot itch foot with a cheese grater.