Sunday, April 11, 2010

Did Not Reach My PT Test Goal

For those of you who don't know, PT is physical training and in the Air Force you have to take and pass a PT test yearly. It is now going to twice yearly but since I am on my way out, that doesn't effect me.

I PT tested on Sunday. My goal was to try so hard I vomited. (Bet you didn't see that coming.) Sadly, I did not meet my goal. Close, but not quite. Even though that is sad news, the good news is I did pass with 83 out of 100 points. Passing is 75 points. Besides the 1.5 mile run you also get points for how many sits-up you can do in a minute and how many push-ups you can do in a minute. I was not proactive and did not practice the sit-ups or push-ups but managed to push out 12 push-ups. Now my chest is quite sore. I know 12 is a very low number for the macho guys (and gals) out there, but for a person with no upper body strength and no practice, I think it is somewhat respectable.

My sit-ups were not very respectable. I need to get a better technique down. I couldn't get a rhythm going and strained on each one. I might have been going down too far. Also, it is a well known fact that the ladies in our family are born without stomach muscles. It is a genetic oddity which has been much studied by leading scientists over the years, but no definite results have ever been discovered, so no papers have been published on the subject.

I did the 1.5 mile run in 14:06 which as I mentioned earlier is much faster than I usually go. I was gasping for breath so loud I was scaring people as I came up behind them. Maybe I sounded like a man eating beast. Or maybe they thought I was going to die and they would have to try CPR.

So I didn't vomit, pass out, or even twist my knee. Kind of boring, but I'll take boring over pain (or death) any day.

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

Having the determination to run till you hurl is admirable; running so hard that you could but didn't is even more admirable. They'll love you in the SMR!