Sunday, March 7, 2010

Story Number Two (or How I Spent My Day)

Hmm... I'm in this box again. But at least I have this yummy beefy type thing to chew on. Gulp. That was good. Now it is gone. La, la, la, la, laaaaaaa.... I'm turning in circles. Now I'm laying down. Now I'm back up. Sigh. Sleepy. (Thunk.)

------


Awake! Oh boy! Drat. Still in the box. Oooohhh. My chew bone. Chomp. Chomp. Chomp. Sleepy again. (Thunk.)

-------

I'm up! I'm up! And I'm still in the box. Booooooorrrrriiiiingggg. I'll whine for a little bit. That's fun. It's making the others nervous. I'll keep it up a bit longer. Well. Done with that. Chomp. Chomp. The chew bone is borning. Look! My rear leg makes a good chew bone also! Chewing on my leg makes me sleepy. (Thunk.)

--------


I'm done being sleepy. It's starting to feel a bit like nighttime. But I'm not sleepy! Not me! Circling! Poking the box door. Poke. Poke. Poke. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT OPENED!!!!!!!!!! I'M FREEE!!! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Na, na, na! You two are still locked up!

I'm heading straight for the secret forbiden portal. Look! My favorite red and white furry chew toy. I'll drag it out and chew pieces off of it. As much as I've always coveted this, it can only hold my attention for so long.

Mmmm... a fabricy spring fresh tissue of softness. I've always wanted to nibble one one of those.

Ha! Ha! I will ring my bell to my heart's content! I will ring it so much it falls of the door knob!

Now I will take this piece of the magic noisy sucker that I like to bite while SHE pushes it around and drag it to the bed in order to make HER think I've ruined the magic noisy sucker (if SHE had put it back together right after fixing it I wouldn't have had this opportunity to fool HER) but in reality I will only put one tiny tooth mark on it. I'm not ALL bad.

Now I will punish that special toy that has been taunting me for weeks by hanging just off the low counter. I will also drag it to the bed and leave it displayed next the the piece of the noisy magic sucker. The corners are extra yummy for some reason.

But there is so much to do I will not spend all my time on that taunting toy. Running, running. What should I eat next? I spy HER feet covers that have little tufts of fur on the inside. I will pull some more of that fur out since I already started on that once before, but was rudely interrupted.

Giggle! My fun is making the white one upset. She is tearing her bed up. I bet she is jealous she is not cleaver enough to get out of her box and join me.

Sniff. Sniff. I smell the sacred place of yummy smells! No one is here to tell me my least favorite word. I tip it over and dive in! A plastic thing. Lots and lots of cardboard. I chew those into tiny spit wads to spit and the others later. A papery thing. So much to chew and shred. Ah bliss! Oh joy!!

What do I hear? Hi! Welcome home! Look how much fun I had!!

---------------------

Yes- I came home from work today to find Dottie loose in the house. I left home this morning at 6:30 am and returned at 5 pm. I cannot believe she was loose the entire time based on the fairly minimal destruction. The great news is nothing irreplaceable was destroyed. Also good news is nothing hard or expensive to replace was destroyed. And even better news is I have not found a potty accident!!! Does this mean Dottie is 100% housebroken now, or was she just having too much fun to remember she had to go? Or am I doing to find a wet spot hidden away somewhere in a few hours??? (Only time will tell.)

Usually I leave my bedroom door closed, and my closet door is almost always closed. Today neither was. Dottie loves it in there and finding herself free and unsupervised she made her way there and chewed on the already nibbled on Santa Hat. The hat will now be used as an extra special puppy reward and I will buy a new one come next Christmas.

I found a soggy fabric softener sheet in my bedroom near the closet.

Dottie did drag part of the vacuum to the dog bed, but I only found one tiny tooth mark on it. Phew! I just spend some $ getting it repaired, then had to buy a new belt right away, and I am very happy she didn't damage it further!

The toy she chewed on is a dog toy and it was hanging off the low counter and it is still 100% usable. It is a large burlap type thing with handles and the corners just have a bit of fraying now.

The slippers that were a Christmas present are also still usable, one just looks a bit ragged. Cosmetic damage only.

The most impressive mess was the sight that first greeted me. She had gotten into the recycling and ripped all the cardboard into tiny shreds. I was worried she had also ripped some clothing into tiny shreds since the shredded cardboard was on top of some clothes. My camping bag was in the kitchen. I don't remember pulling those clothes out, so I think she pulled the clothes out then laid on top of them as she shredded the cardboard. The library book was the only thing still inside the camping bag. It was unharmed. But the picture of Bloom and I that I was using as a book mark was nothing but soggy pieces. (Luckily I have another copy of that picture.)

This could have been a disaster. I wonder how long she was out. One of the things she likes to attempt to chew on in my presence is my laptop, so I ran in to check that out. It was fine. She could have shredded my matress. Or the couch. Or the blinds. Or put toothmarks on the real wood cabinets. Or done who knows what other unspeakable things. I know some people have young dogs who are trustworthy in the house. And I also know Dottie is not one of those, so I am very happy only a Santa Hat and some recycling was destroyed. And the recyling doesn't count since it is already getting tossed out.

I was very impressed there were no potty accidents. She didn't chew on any of the cabinets or knock the dog food bag off the counter and eat all of that. Not that I'm deluding myself and thinking she made conscious choices of what to chew and what not to. She's only a dog, and a young one at that. I am always telling her to say out of the recycling, but I suppose I am nagging about it. One of these days I'll have to make a stronger impression. And yet, the recycling seems to have kept her busy for some time and kept her chompers away from more valuable items.

A puppy can't be trusted in the house, which is why I keep her locked up. So the only bad one here is me, for doing a poor job of securing her kennel. I am glad this didn't turn out like a story I read about a Malinois puppy who escaped his crate and got a bottle of honey and ran through the house squeezing it. That must be why I don't have honey in the house.

Fancy had torn her bed up. In frustration for not being able to get into the recycling with Dottie, or because Dottie's misbehavior upset her delicate sensibilities?

I will be sure to use the sliding latch on the kennel from now on.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Oh, that Dottie! She is so naughty! But I'm glad the damage was minor, considering her tendency to be both a puppy and trouble. I especially liked her version of things--it's almost like you videotaped her the whole time! I'm glad you explained everything though, because I couldn't figure out the Santa hat. How funny that she loves it so much.

I think every dog has their weakness. Moxie hasn't chewed anything in pretty much forever, so I decided to test her a few days ago. I left an old pair of Laura's shoes in the kitchen when I went to work, and sure enough, they were carried off and all wet when I get home. Not destroyed but not in great shape. The funniest part to me is that we can leave shoes on the stairs and she doesn't touch them. But anytime shoes have been left downstairs, they have been chewed by a very delighted Moxie dog.