Monday, May 11, 2009

Pie Holds Her Ground

Pie does not like the lawn mower in the same way I do not like the lawn mower. It is obnoxiously loud and she and I would both rather be somewhere else. We are not afraid of it, we just don't care for it.


I have a gardener because I rent and it is included in the rent. I had the front door open with the screen closed. I came out of another room which I had been in a while to find Pie standing guard at the front door. As the gardener pushed the obnoxious machine closer then pulled it back then pushed it closer, Pie held her ground, to make sure the strange man and noisy contraption did not gain unauthorized entry into our home. She didn't threaten him or act tough, she just stood her ground. But it was not normal, happy, waggy Pie. Her posture was stiff, her ears were back, and the most notable for Pie, her tail was hanging straight down, not moving a bit, with out her natural gentle curve. She was obviously most unhappy.


When I made my presence known to her, she gave up her post and came towards me wagging, as if she felt since I was around I could be in charge of repelling the possible intruder. I think her behavior in this situation is extremely appropriate. She didn't like it, but she did her job, and did it well.


Now, if the gardener had attempted to break in and use the running lawnmower as a shield, I'm not sure what Pie's response to that would have been. But I am sure no one has ever tried to break into a home using a running lawn mover. At least not around here.

1 comment:

Claire said...

The thought of someone using a lawnmower as a weapon/shield made me laugh, even though it sounds like serious business. And I think that incident just proves what we were talking about; namely our smart and (hopefully) brave dogs. Today my not-so-smart yet vigilant dog has been guarding our backyard from any unauthorized squirrel entry.