Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ouch

You know how you are just jogging along, thinking you'll probably go 3 and a quarter miles for the second time this week, and you'll hold off going 3 and a half miles until next week, and you don't want to think too much about how far you'll go because so far you've only done just over a mile, and you're actually feeling pretty good (must be those mythical endorphins) and all of the sudden just as your entire weight comes down supported by one leg, your knee cap pops out of place and zooms around and suddenly you don't have a leg to stand on (so to speak) and since you temporarily no longer have a knee cap, your leg collapses and you hit the ground hard because you were caught completely by surprise and the pain is so great you might throw up and the only thing you are thinking besides "ARG!" is "Seriously? Because that was my GOOD knee." and the horrible twisting sensation totally grosses you out and also the popping sound was nasty and as you writhe in pain you wonder if the security cameras are picking this up? No? What, that has never happened to you before? Ah well, that's ok, it's happened to me enough for all of us.

Then, after this happens, depending on the severity of the injury, I hobble around for the next few days. I think the longest was approaching two weeks. I think there is something extra wrong with limping along at work when you work for the military. Like maybe just limping so noticeably is putting your entire career in jeopardy.

I did agility this weekend, but I couldn't run. At least by the time the weekend rolled around I could walk. Pie and Fancy both know "go" and "out" so I was able to hobble along in their wake and tell them what to take while steering from behind. Kind of like the second fireman on the huge fire truck who steers the back half of the truck. I'm hoping by next weekend (Memorial Day) I'm back to 100% since I have four (yes, four) days of agility in a row. Right now walking I'm at maybe 75% but only 45% running. I can't bend the knee more than 90 degrees. I prop the leg up using my other leg while sleeping. Except last night I used a dog toy to keep the knee bent. I knew there was a reason I keep the dogs around.

Besides the fact that I'm injured and I hope it doesn't decrease my stamina by the time I'm able to run again, this really messed up my plans for next week. I was given a special four day pass for doing well during the inspection, and I was planning all kinds of fun activities. Such as hiking. I suppose now I will have to change my plans. Maybe I'll see a movie instead. I'd rather be hiking.

Some dogs have luxating patellas. However, it never seems to bother them nearly as much. I suspect that is because when one knee goes bad they have three others to choose from. Lucky dogs.

2 comments:

No One said...

Its been a while since I have left a comment, but don't take it personal; I haven't been on anyones blog.

While I can't relate too much to the knew thing since it hasn't happened to me, I do live in constant fear of giving myself another hernia, and sometimes I think I do reopen my old wound cause it really hurts but the gortex they put in my keeps it from being too bad. Fun times.

Claire said...

Ouch!! That sounds horrible. Please take plenty of time off...if you start running too soon you will just hurt yourself more.

Poor, poor you. I've had that "I'm going to barf it hurts so bad pain", and it's not fun.