Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our Trip to PA

I traveled to PA for my Grandfather's Memorial Service. You can read about my journey out there here: http://citizengrouch.blogspot.com/2009/05/dads-memorial-service-part-1-journey.html

The memorial service was a tribute to Grandpap's life. His family was there, as well as some of his old neighbors. We gathered in the chapel as his children said the ways their dad influenced their lives and what he meant to them. The priest, a relative of Grandpap's, said prayers. Then we went to the grave site and others got a chance to say their feelings. Everyone was very sad.

Afterwards we went to the restaurant Grandpap frequently took visiting relatives to and we enjoyed each other's company. Then we went to Uncle Ed's house for some reminiscing and family time. We even watched some old home videos, which I enjoyed. Laura got to play with her little cousins, which she enjoyed.

The Whole Gang- thanks to Uncle Ed's TriPod


I haven't seen that side of the family in a few years, so it was very nice to catch up with everyone. Of course, I wish it could have been under happier circumstances... Thank you to Uncle Ed and the rest of the family who organized the service and the family time. I think it was all very nice and fitting.


The next day Dad, Claire, Laura, Pete and Aunt Anne and I all went to Pittsburgh. First we stopped at "The Bluffs," which is the best scenic overlook I've ever been to. Then we went downtown to the Soldier's and Sailor's Museum where we looked at historic artifacts and found Dad's great-great uncle, who volunteered for the Civil War. Well, the Uncle wasn't there, but his name was. After that we went to the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh. I've never been before. I was quite impressed. We went up to the top, then came back down and toured the free Nationality Rooms. Turns out they actually have classes in there. Very interesting.

Laura Running at The Overlook.

The day after that we flew home. The trip home was much better. We got good seats on the plane, didn't have to pay to check our luggage due to being military, and out gates were close and not at opposite ends of the airport. Our luggage even came out first. Nice.

Laura Guards Granddad's Bag.

Overall it was a very good, if short, trip.

All of the photos can be seen here. None have been cropped so if you want to do that, feel free. http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/fancygirlud/PA%20May%202009/ Be sure to view all 10 pages!


Living on opposite sides of the county from each other, Grandpap and I didn't spend very much time together. But he did come on several vacations with us, and he did come to visit us in CA occasionally, and when I took a Hop to Pittsburgh a few years back, I got to visit him then. We corresponded the old fashioned way- by letters. I know G/P liked my little drawings, because he always told me he did. Other than saying that, I think I will keep the rest of my feeling private.

PS- Thanks to Aunt Monica and Uncle Brian for allowing me to stay in their house, and especially to Deborah for giving up her bed to me! That was very kind of you.

PSS-The pictures I posted got a little distorted when I resized them, so if they look funny, that is why.

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Claire said...

Marla, you took some great pictures. I will be sure to steal many of them for my personal and bloggy purposes. It was so wonderful to see you!