Monday, October 4, 2010

Vote for Pie and Dottie!

Vote for Pie and Dottie in the 2011 Mal Rescue Calendar! I submitted 5 of each girl, I think. You are allowed to choose your favorite. :) The directions are on the web page. Follow the links above the first pictures to see all four seasons. You can vote for more than one and I also give permission to vote for some of the other nice photos out there. So generous of me, I know.

See pictures here. http://www.malinoisrescue.org/calendar-2011-spring.shtml Vote by clicking on the blue link that says Lyn and Ann. That will open an email where you can write the name of the pictures. But for each season they want you to click on the link on that webpage. So if you vote for all four seasons you will have sent four emails.

Looking at these great pictures actually makes me sad. Each one of these much loved dogs (you don't take pictures and submit them to calendar contests unless you love your dog) could have ended up euthanized. Pie was in the shelter 15 days before I came across her picture on petharbor.com (you can search by shelter or breed- lots of Mals end up listed as GSD X) and it also took a few days to organize getting her out. In CA, the law says strays like her have to be held for a minimum of 5 days, so she survived 10 days longer than mandated by law. For those of you who know Pie, can you imagine her being killed in the shelter?

I should focus on the positive, that these, and so many others thanks to the work of Mal Rescue, have made it out alive, but instead I can't help thinking about all the ones who didn't make it. Such as this girl:



My friend sent me her info and I sent it to my contact at Mal Rescue who said she would send it to the rescue committee. A few days later on the weekend the first friend asked me if anything was done and I reported what I knew, so we called the shelter who said she was due to be euthanized the following Monday. I called someone I knew near the shelter who agreed to visit with her the next day. She called me back the afternoon of the visit and said the puppy had been euthanized that morning*. The poor little puppy. Never had a chance to grow up. Her little tail was wagging in the shelter picture but it wagged no more after that Saturday. "It shouldn't happen to a dog." And especially not a little puppy. Dottie was even younger in the shelter- she could have suffered the same fate but a shelter worker sent her video to Mal Rescue who sent it out to local people like me. That is why these pictures make me sad. To steal from a Toby Keith song, "Do you rejoice for the ones who walk from the shelter, or cry for the ones left behind?"

Mal Rescue does what they can, and so do unofficial people like me and the two friends who helped, but there are so many dogs that right now, it is impossible to save them all. Once the calendar comes out you can help by purchasing it and not only will you get to look at beautiful Malinois, but you can also help Mal Rescue monetarily. The 100% best way to put your finger in the dyke is to adopt a Mal (or any other breed) or be a foster home. One of my friends likes to say, "Buy a dog from a breeder, then adopt a friend for him." That way you get the benefits that come from buying, but you also save a life. Sounds like a good plan, until you realize she has a lot of dogs!

*We don't know why the shelter told us she would be around until Monday and then put her down on Saturday before opening, but I hear stories like that all the time. If you see a dog you like on petharbor.com (where I found Fancy and Pie and Blossom and Bacon) don't wait a second longer- GO!)

No comments: