Friday, October 29, 2010

In Dixon for a Dogshow

We drove up to Dixon last night. The drive was not too bad. We ended up going up the 5 to save time. I stopped once to buy gas but other than that drove straight through. We made it to Dixon but then I wasn't sure how to get to the fairgrounds. Luciky I fell in behind an RV that I could tell belonged to another dog person. I was correct and they lead us to the RV check in but the check in people had no record of the group I was staying with. Eventually we met up with our group. I was happy to see the fairgrounds have the large stadium lights on. Much easier to camp with lights. The bad part was they never shut them off all night.

Fancy and Pie were fine sleeping in the car with me, amongst all the huge RVs. I'm not too out of place though because my friends are sleeping in their cars also. Dottie was not so well behaved. She paced, and circled and looked out the windows. I think she felt the need to keep her eyes on the situation to keep us safe. Every so often she saw something she felt needed a warning bark from her. The other obstacle to sleep was the train crossing that was seeminly as busy as Union Station. Not the best night for sleeping (my back was also protesting) but not the worst either.

This morning we did not have to get up early since our ring time was not until 11:45. I eventually got up, making use of the showers, which were not too bad, then hung out and practiced with Pie a bit. Today was the breed ring (it is a Regional Specialty.) Pie has to practice because in the breed ring the dog is not supposed to look at you as they trot along (unlike in obedience when they are supposed to keep attention on you.) Pie was in working sweepstakes. Unlike the regular breed ring, working sweeps is a non-regular class that does not count towards a championship so the club is allowed to make their own rules. The club welcomed dogs like Pie with no papers or registration number.

Before I showed Pie I helped a friend by showing their boy puppy i n puppy sweeps. I was unable to stack him but I think I gaited him nicely. He ended up taking first in his class, but did not progress after that.

Pie's turn was next. There were 2 dogs in her Working Sweeps Bitch Class. She gaited nicely and stood still nicely. She never stacks very great but that wasn't even that bad. She took 2nd (out of 2.) Still, it was very cool because we got a ribbon and even a small amount of prize money. 6 dollars! I bragged about Pie on Facebook and said she got second, but didn't mention there were only 2 dogs. :)

Here is our "win" picture. I see I must be expecting a baby. Surprise!


Tomorrow and Sunday is obedience.

No comments: