Monday, August 28, 2017

Salty Agility!

Salty has been to five agility classes now. We signed up for a beginning agility class that had six classes but we missed the first two. We completed that class and today was the first day of the new series of classes.

Salty loves playing with toys and he is a very dedicated toddler. When there is an exercise that I have to use treats for he is much less enthusiastic. He will eat the treats but he just does everything very slowly then. When I'm able to use the tug as a reward he is Speedy!



This was at our class today. We have done jump tunnel jump sequence and we've done some jumps space only a few feet apart in a straight line with the toy at the end as a lure to get them to take the jumps. This is the first time he's ever done so many jumps in a row. I was happy because he chose to take each one and didn't go around them. Such a good boy.
I signed Salty up for this class because he needed some training and socialization. I did not get him specifically for agility and I wasn't sure if I would do it with him at all. I'm still not 100% committed to ever trialing him but based on how well he's doing so far I think he will be an easy dog to trial and also it will be rewarding for me because he will probably do pretty well. It seems like he will be fast but also not crazy.

Kipling has plenty of speed but not a very clear head so he is harder to control. In Kip's case once we get more training and time together I think we'll be a better team but right now it can be a little frustrating because he's all over the place.

Salty on the other hand is naturally more biddable and calm even though he is also playful which makes it easy to train him.  Some dogs that are available and calm are also kind of slugs but not Salty!  So far he is definitely the easiest dog I've ever trained. I think all the dogs I have had in the past have been smart but they've been willing to please to different degrees. And some have been willing to please but have difficulty focusing based on their personalities. Silty has good focus and is willing to please and is of course very intelligent as well. He is not a naughty dog at all. His breeder jokes that he is boring. She likes crazy out-of-control poodles. I got to say he has enough energy to be fun so I think I am preferring the not crazy out-of-control poodles.  I feel disloyal saying that since Kip is tending towards crazy and out of control. But I guess everybody has a type of dog that they prefer over the other types. Even though I said that I still love Kip! And kept us calm down at home. He runs around and play with with his toys and Salty and Salty runs around and plays with his toys and Kip and then they both fall asleep and as they're falling asleep they like to get pets and Cuddles. Here is Kip sleeping on the couch right now. And silly Salty falling off the bed as usual. That is Dottie's foot in the lower right hand corner of the picture I guess I'll just include a picture of the other guys so you can see what Monday night looks like at our house... I'm watching the 10th season of Doctor Who on Amazon Prime. The dogs are very good at being couch dogs.



And here is a little bit later, Kipling cuddling in my arms. See isn't he cute and sweet when he isn't being crazy?



No comments: