Sunday, August 27, 2017

Mystery Nasty Friut Tree

I have a fruit tree in my backyard that most closely resembles a lemon tree. But at some point one of my friends said it might be a lemon lime tree. Alls we know is the fruit tastes terrible. Because it is so bitter and terrible tasting the actual type of friut can't be identified. The fruit is yellow but smaller and Less Lemon shaped than regular lemons. It's more round like an orange.

I took some into work and head different people sample them. I warned them first that they were terrible. I said would you like your fruit? It tastes terrible. The few brave souls tried it out and all agreed it was quite disgusting. One guy thought I had poisoned him. Another wondered if his lips were now going to fall off?

If there was universally agreed that the fruit was disgusting to beyond words and still unidentified, I turned to Google and typed "lemons taste terrible from tree."

I found a site where you could ask an expert agricultural type questions. Somebody was having the same problem and sent in a picture of her lemon tree and the Gentleman immediately identified the problem. Her fruit tree did not have a single trunk. He said the root ball that was used to graft lemon tree to had taken over the tree. I'm not quite sure if through ball and lemon tree combined or if it was just the RuPaul that was producing the fruit too. Either way the lemon tree was not the only thing producing fruit on the tree and that is why her lemons tasted bad. I think that is what has happened to my tree as well. I can see there is more than one trunk twined together at the bottom.
Did the root ball take over? Also notice all the lemon like objects I need to pick up.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy the house because it had some kind of citrus tree in the backyard. In fact I don't even eat citrus fruit. The only cure for this tree is to chop it down and plant a new one. But it provides some good shade so I'm disinclined to do that.

However, on the side of chop it down and plant something else, right now it is producing quite a lot of the vile fruit which I have to pick up and throw out. Also it has big thorns. I chopped off a lot of branches today to make it easier to mow under and now maybe there will be a little less horrendous fruit like objects to pick up.
Newly trimmed tree with all of the branches in the background and all of the yellow fruit-ish objects to pick up.

If anyone anse to play a mean / cruel practical joke on somebody and give them fruit that turns out to be completely unedible, come see me and I will hook you up.
My grass is still growing that I planted in the bare patches. And yet more of that stupid yellow fruit like ball to pick up.
I got excited about chopping up overgrown nthings with thorns, so I cut the rose bush in my front yard way back. I don't take care of it so I should think about removing it but it grows well enough that I have to chop it back every few months.



No comments: